Friday, November 28, 2008

About Last Weeks Posting

Manga Comic

Manga Vs Comic

I got a lot of confused comments over the the "Manga Comic" post. I want to clear things up. "Manga Vs Comic" was my first attempt at making something that would work as a comic and still show how confusing Manga must be for readers who are not used to reading Manga. In the end I didn't like the comic. I didn't think it was funny, it didn't make much sense.

Now I need to explain Manga. Apparently Manga is writen to be read from RIGHT TO LEFT not LEFT TO RIGHT as we are accustomed to in North America. So when I read my first Manga, I was so confused as to why two people would be talking in the left pannel and then introducing themselves in the right pannel. Eventually I figured it out. I wanted to give the reader a chance to also figure out what Manga Comic was about. If you read the comic the way we normally do in north America, the accused seems to deny ever using the Wii (everyone see that?). If you read the comic backwards, or as if it was a manga, from right to left, the accused now acts completely differently. Fully admitting to using the Wii and belittling the desires of the other guy.

It's just interesting how a comic can take two opposite forms simply by the direction of the reading.

Lastly, I know it isn't funny. Both right to left and left to right are neither funny or amusing. It's just the uniquness of its form. If anything, I hope you can appreciate that!

No comments: